- Purple charity scarf will launch in stores on February 29, to mark International Women’s Day on March 8
- 100 per cent of the sales of the scarves will go to preventing violence against women & girls in the Pacific, which will be the focus of campaigning in 2016
- Head of UN Women NC Australia declares that violence against females in the Pacific has reached “epidemic” proportions, with two in three women experiencing violence and abuse at the hands of those closest to them
- In some parts of the region, as many as 100% of women report experiencing violence.
- Hi-res Images of the charity scarf can be accessed here: http://bit.ly/1Scdshm
Esprit has teamed up with UN Women National Committee (NC) Australia to launch a purple scarf to mark International Women’s Day on March 8. The accessory will be available in stores from February 29 and 100 per cent of the proceeds from the sale of the scarves will go to helping prevent violence against women & girls in the Pacific.
Chris Laverty, head of Esprit Australia said, “We are supporting UN Women NC Australia for the fourth year in a row because in our minds there are few issues more vital, nor more urgent than addressing the continued levels of violence against women and girls in the Pacific.”
Julie McKay, head of the UN Women NC Australia, says the Pacific region is the “epicentre” for violence against females.
Violence often begins at an early age: in Vanuatu for example, 30% of women experience child sexual abuse under the age of 15, whilst 41% report a forced first sexual experience. In Fiji, one third of females who experience violence are girls under 16.
In addition, 20% of all Esprit sales instore and online from March 5 and 6 will be donated to advance UN Women’s work to eliminate violence against women in the Pacific.
About the Scarf
The scarf has been colour matched to represent the official International Women’s Day purple hue. Soft and lightweight, this accessory is perfect for transeasonal layering. The scarves are available for purchase in freestanding Esprit stores in Australia and New Zealand, Myer concessions stores and online at www.esprit.com.au
Scarves will be sold for $39.95 in Australia and $49.90 in New Zealand. Esprit stores will also be selling International Women’s Day purple ribbons for $3 each.