A global champion for women and girls, UN Women is the United Nations entity responsible for promoting women’s empowerment and gender equality and was established to accelerate progress to meet the needs of women and girls worldwide.
UN Women National Committee (NC) Australia is recognised by UN Women as its partner in Australia to advance UN Women’s agenda. UN Women NC Australia is a registered charity in Australia which exists to raise funds for and awareness of UN Women’s work across the Pacific and around the world. All donations over $2 are tax deductible.
UN Women’s priority areas include:
- Expanding women’s leadership and participation
- Ending violence against women by enabling states to set up the mechanisms needed to formulate and enforce appropriate laws and services
- Ending poverty through enhancing women’s economic empowerment
- Strengthening the implementation of the Women, Peace And Security agenda
- Making gender equality priorities central to national, local and sectoral planning and budgeting
- Humanitarian Response and Planning
Gender equality is not only a basic human right, but its achievement has enormous socio-economic ramifications. Empowering women fuels thriving economies, spurring productivity and growth. Yet gender inequalities remain deeply entrenched in every society. Women lack access to decent work and face occupational segregation and gender wage gaps. They are too often denied access to basic education and health care. Women in all parts of the world suffer violence and discrimination. They are under-represented in political and economic decision-making processes.