How will you take action for gender equality? Here are some ideas to get you started:
One of the biggest differences you can make is supporting UN Women’s work empowering women and girls around the world.
There are many ways that you can fundraise, such as:
- Use your O-WEEK Stall for good and collect donations
- Host a bake-sale or BBQ on campus
- Organise a film screening
- Host a debate or panel discussion
- Participate in existing events and fun-runs (check out our events calendar to see what’s coming up)
Check out our fundraising pack for more tips and tricks!
To achieve gender equality, we all need to play our part. Activate your fellow students on campus and encourage them to take the HeForShe Commitment. Some ideas to get you started include:
- A Commitment Drive– use our commitment sheet in this kit (download below) to encourage your peers to take the HeForShe commitment. Send completed commitment sheets back to us at [email protected] to ensure you’re counted on the global tally.
- Photo booth – use HeForShe signs and phrases to make photo commitments.Top tip: use your phone or tablet to save on rental fees!
- Are you #HeForShe? initiative– join the Are you #HeForShe? initiative by uploading your video making your personal commitment to ending sexual harassment and assault to your favourite social media channels. Don’t forget to use the hashtag #HeForShe and ask your friends to do the same.
3. CALL OUT SEXIST BEHAVIOUR
The standard you walk past is the standard you accept. Help change the conversation by calling out sexist jokes and behaviour when you see it. The biggest way we can make change is by speaking up when our friends, family and colleagues make sexist comments and jokes. Don’t be afraid to question what someone has said, even if no one else does.
4. GET SOCIAL:
Thanks to social media we can learn from and share with people all over the world. Why not use your social media for good, sharing information about gender equality and how people can get involved.
Don’t forget to follow us!
Youtube: UN Women Australia
Want to discuss your ideas further or not sure where to start? Contact us on [email protected]