1 March 2019 - 31 March 2019
IWD 2019 – Celebrate Your Way
Join us in celebration of women and girls around the world. This International Women’s Day, celebrate your way and support UN Women’s life-changing work.
The theme for IWD 2019 is ‘More Powerful Together’, recognising the important roles we all play to advance gender equality. It takes all of us, working in collaboration and across that which sometimes divides us, to create a world where women and girls everywhere have equal rights and opportunities. It requires all of our participation to create a world where everybody can live a life free from violence and discrimination. More Powerful Together is a call for all of us to take a stand in unison for gender equality.
Why? Because the pace of progress is still too slow:
- More than half a billion women in the world today live in unacceptable conditions of poverty.
- 1 in 3 women across the globe experience violence. The number of child brides is now estimated at 650 million.
- Women still earn less than men for the same work even when they have the same abilities and experience
- Women make up just 23.8% of parliaments across the world.
These statistics are unacceptable.
Achieving gender equality benefits us all: it reduces social stigma and gender stereotypes that limit the potential of all individuals. Gendered jobs stifle career opportunities, gendered parenting roles can prevent fathers from taking an active role as a caregiver, and gendered emotions can limit the spectrum of feelings we should all be free to express.
This IWD your fundraising efforts will support UN Women to:
- Develop women as leaders;
- Eliminate violence against women and girls and support survivors;
- End poverty through women’s economic empowerment;
- Ensure women’s full participation in the peace and security agenda;
- Make gender equality priorities central to budgeting;
- Ensure women are central to disaster planning and response
How can I celebrate International Women’s Day?
We are more powerful together. That’s why this IWD, we want you to celebrate your way! You could host a morning tea, organise a film screening, run a fitness class, jump out of an aeroplane, donate a percentage of proceeds, organise a trivia night or do something completely different!
How does my contribution make a difference this IWD?
- $75 could provide 5 dignity kits for women and girls with necessities including soap and sanitary napkins
- $155 could provide female political candidates with a toolkit preparing them to run for office
- $436 could support a safe house to protect women from domestic violence for
- $900 could provide financial literacy and business training for six women, allowing them to run their business independently
Celebrate IWD your way and let’s make gender equality a reality, together. Get started today!