Violence against women and girls is a global pandemic.
Emmanuella was seven years old when she was raped.
Tabasum was kidnapped and forced to marry an older man.
Helen was bullied at school because she liked girls.
Elisa was publically beaten because she dared to participate in politics.
Global rates of violence paint a shocking picture:
- 1 in 3 women worldwide will experience violence in their lifetime.
- Here in Australia, more than one woman a week dies at the hands of a current or former partner.
- 71% of all human trafficking victims worldwide are women and girls.
- 12 million girls are married before the age of 18 each year. That is 23 girls every minute. Nearly 1 every 2 seconds.
- Around 15 million girls aged 15-19 have experienced forced sex in their lifetimes.
This violence is unacceptable, and it is not inevitable.
During the 16 Days of Activism to End Gender-Based Violence people all around the world are raising their voices and demanding an end to this violence. Will you join with them?